After the best week of football (both college and NFL) that we’ve had, we turn the page to Week 11 of the NFL season. Let’s go around the NFL with 5 hump day thoughts
1. The Dallas Cowboys are the clear favorite to win the NFC and go to the Super Bowl. And their two best players are rookies. It makes me sick to my stomach to even think about it. Every week, my hatred makes me bet against them and every week, they just win games. Impressively win games too. Dak has everything you want in a QB and they are starting to really take advantage of his mobility the last few weeks. The running back (I don’t even want to say this name) should be the MVP of the league. Forget about Matt Ryan, he’s the been the best.
2. Makes me sick again, but another thought about the Cowboys. Tony Romo has handled this Dak Prescott situation very well. I watched his news conference and genuinely felt for him. He’s not stupid, he knows that there isn’t any way they can take Dak out. Still sucks for him, he thought he was going to be able to take a run at a Super Bowl with a very talented roster. Yeah I get it, he’s a Cowboy, but I never really hated Romo. He was a pretty good player in his prime too. I’ll be interested to see where he ends up in 2017. He said today that he still wants to play, but I doubt he would play for a team that doesn’t have any chance of contending. I’d put Denver and Arizona as the top two teams that makes sense from both sides. A lot of people saying the Bears, who will probably have a need with Jay Cutler thought to headed out of town. Romo played nearby at Eastern Illinois and was on the same team for a season with Bears GM Ryan Pace. I guess this would be his fallback option
3. The Eagles are in big trouble this Sunday. The Seattle Seahawks usually go through a rough stretch at some point during the season. Then they snap out of it and play like the championship team we’ve seen the last few years. Well unfortunately for the Eagles, I think they are catching them at the wrong time. Russell Wilson is finally healthy and he’s looked very impressive the last few weeks. These aren’t your ground and pound Seahawks, they will beat you with the pass and the Eagles weakness on defense just so happens to be at cornerback. Carson Wentz also has been shaky on the road and clearly is more comfortable playing at Lincoln Financial Field, as is the entire team. The Eagles are undefeated at home, but so are the Seahawks. The 12th man is loud and proud in Seattle and I could see this one getting ugly, just not a good spot. If this was Week 3, the Eagles might have been able to get the win, week 11, this one feels like double digits. Oh and by the way, the Eagles earned this trip to Seattle with with their week 17 win over the Giants last season. If they would have lost the game, they would have played the Rams in London. The Giants won that game against the Rams
4. Speaking of the Rams, rookie Jared Goff will finally get the start this Sunday against the Dolphins in Los Angeles. It’s a decent situation for Goff to make his first start as they are playing at home against a below average Dolphins defense. “I think it’s time,” Goff said after practice on Tuesday. “I’m ready to move forward and play. I’m just going to work hard and hopefully win.” It definitely is time. When the Rams drafted Goff 1st overall this past draft, I would have to think that the Rams brass would have thought he was more NFL ready than what they saw in training camp. Case Keenam is a decent back-up, but the team hasn’t scored a touchdown in 3 games he started this season (they somehow won two of those games). I can’t tell you if Goff will be a quality starting NFL quarterback. My knee jerk reaction is that he won’t be. Now he gets his chance to prove the Rams right and me wrong. Certainly makes the game more interesting to watch on Red Zone
5. The Vikings have now lost 4 straight games and host a desperate Cardinals team this Sunday. If you look at the stats, Sam Bradford seems to perform pretty well, but they just can’t seem to put a win together. Not my style to brag, but I saw this coming after they lost to the Eagles. Just didn’t see enough talent on offense to keep winning games. How’s that first rounder for Sam Bradford looking now?